Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Commission WIP - SD Neo Zeong

I'm not a fan of mobile armors, particularly those with arms OR legs (it's never both). I can get behind a Valkyrie's Gerwalk mode, because it can still go full mecha or full fighter jet - but designs like the Big Zam are just downright ridiculous to me. It's as if Zeon stole a bunch of Robeast blueprints from the Bozanian empire or something. I just couldn't bring myself to like them. The Neo Zeong however, could be the sole exception. After all, it does have a Sinanju inside it.



Click on the Read More link for the rest of this post...



I received this not-so-little fellow already snap-built. While that saves me a couple hours of work, I still had to do some troublesome disassembling to fix seams - of which there are a lot. Color separation isn't very good out of the box either, so I have my work cut out for me in the way of masking, hand painting and/or reverse washing. SD's - easy to build, hell to paint. I fixed the seams, sanded off mold lines and nub marks, then laid down some primer.



Internal parts and details were painted gunmetal. Masking was applied to preserve the painted details prior to doing all the reds. This took some serious concentration and patience.







The shoulder internals had to be painted and masked off before the outer armor could be assembled and their seams could be fixed.


Next up was a preshade of red+black, which for some reason look rather pink on top of the grey primer.

  

The sinanju parts were also hit with some yellow in preparation for a brighter red finish than the outer armor.



I'm doing the dark red on the Zeong bits, to be followed by the black, white and gold details.
I've also got an MG Zaku Cannon in the snapping and cleaning phase. I'll post up a separate WIP for it soon.


My decision to focus on modeling basics really has me trying to make the most out of these straight-build projects. It's stretching my build schedule a good deal, but I'm sure my clients will appreciate all the extra effort I'm putting into their orders.

I'm hoping to get both of these done by the end of the month, provided I get some good painting weather throughout the weekends.

Until next time, keep building plamo!

No comments:

Post a Comment