Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Master G233 Airbrush - Review

A pleasant day to you all my lovely plamo nerds! After almost a year of using the Master G233 airbrush, I think it's about time I did a review. It's not a new model by any means, but I think it deserves some attention, even with all the other generic Chinese airbrushes flying around. This was the airbrush I used on the Boros, and if anything it at least made the daunting task of painting the model a little less stressful by never giving me any problems, which - as far as cheap airbrushes go - is saying a lot. There's a video at the bottom of the post if your millennial instincts tell you anything less than an animated GIF is boring.



Click on the Read More link for the rest of this post...



I ordered the Master G233 for a whopping $27.00 (Php 1360) off of Amazon last year during a business trip to my company headquarters in the US. A quick peek at my purchase history shows it's still selling for the same price today, and continues to get good reviews. I believe this airbrush has the highest Amazon rating out of all Master airbrush offerings, and possibly out of all other Chinese brands available on Amazon.


With the inclusions, it's really hard to argue with the price. In the plastic case you get the airbrush plus 3 needle and nozzle combinations: .02, .03 (installed in the airbrush) and .05 for painting larger surfaces. It comes with a quick release connector with an air control valve, a generic plastic hose adapter, and the standard 1/8 size connector.



This is a dual-action airbrush with independent control for air and paint. Its significantly heavier than the generic BR-130 I used to have, which I think helps with control, and the machining and polish is definitely well done. It has a cut-out towards the back for loosening the nut that holds the needle. I'm not really sure what it's for, maybe for easier cleaning of clogs? On the rear end is an adjustable needle limiter that lets you set how far back the trigger can be pulled, therefore helping the user achieve a more consistent spray pattern.


The airbrush disassembles the same as most other Chinese airbrushes. The trigger feels comfortable, pulls back nice and smooth, and the spring is not too stiff. I noticed that when pulling the trigger all the way back with the limiter off, the needle lug appears to turn slightly clockwise. I'm not sure why it does that but it doesn't affect the spray pattern.


The needle is nicely polished and tapers off to a very fine point. The nozzle tip is the screw-on type with an O-ring on the tread. In my old airbrush I accidentally over tightened this bit once and it snapped off, leaving the tread inside the airbrush body. Since then I just use my fingers to screw these things back in.


This airbrush atomizes paint really well, definitely a step up from the generic one I used to have. Of course proper thinning and PSI settings still play a big part in that depending on the needle / nozzle size you have installed, but I've tried all needle settings in the box and they all work great.


All in all, for $27(+shipping), this product is a steal. For about half the price of a Master Grade kit you get a decent airbrush will all the accessories for a wide range of applications, standard sized fittings and a nifty quick release attachment. That being said there are a few horror stories where the contents of the package are in bad shape on arrival, but the good reviews highly outnumber the bad on this one. If you're in the market for a new airbrush and your budget is tight, this is the one to get, at least if you're in the US or anywhere Amazon exists. Locally I don't think any hobby shops carry this item yet, but if you have relatives or friends abroad I'm sure you can figure out a way to get this set.


I did a poor attempt at a video review if you want to see this thing in action:




I have all intentions of owning a top end airbrush some day, hopefully sooner than later, but for now I think this kit still matches my skill level.

If you wish to try this airbrush for yourself, click on the Amazon ad link below to place an order. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Thanks!




Until next time, keep building plamo!





No comments:

Post a Comment